Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Strangers

Most people these days don't tend to strike up conversations with complete strangers while out in public, nor do they expect those strangers to be among some of the nicest folks they've ever met. I ran into one of the "not most people" yesterday while at the fabric store.

Waiting at the cutting counter while the woman behind it cut my stack of fabrics into 1-yard lengths, the woman in line behind me commented on what I had chosen.
"What are you making?"
"Aprons," and I smiled.
"Those are perfect fabrics for aprons. They're so happy!"
We continued to chat, and she ascertained that I am a stay-at-home-mom (I had Luke with me). She then proceeded to tell me how refreshing it is to see young people not only sewing and knitting and continuing the "home arts," but also how wonderful it is to see someone my age make the choice to stay home with her children.

Some days, I feel like I've made the wrong choice for the long-term. I am a social person, and I need interaction, even if it's with a bunch of kids in a classroom. Talking to a dog and a baby all day long for days on end does tend to wear on a person, no matter how much that person loves their dog and baby. Other days, I feel like I made the best decision in the world to stay home and raise my son.

That stranger yesterday made me feel it even stronger than I usually do.

I made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment