Friday, January 31, 2014

Parenting Lessons, level 1

Luke is one today. This past year has been one of the most educational years of my entire life.
What did I learn? Well, let me share some of what I picked up over the last 12 months.

I learned...


  • that other people's kids, with the exception of nieces and nephews, just aren't as cute as one's own.
  • that grandmothers can be just as competitive as mothers.
  • that sleep, which I thought I didn't need in mass quantities, is more essential to me than food.
  • that very few people can resist a cute little boy whose mother dresses him in Carhartt onesies, jeans, and work boots.
  • that a houseful of men who generally can be fairly vulgar can switch to baby-mode in a split second and not think twice about it.
  • that babies instinctively know that dogs like table food.
  • that dogs know exactly who to be near at mealtime.
  • to keep my mouth shut about the neighbor's kids (by the way--they now have four; twin girls were born in August).
  • that I had all the answers to parenting issues before I became a parent.
  • that people without children seem to know everything there is to know about them (even though they clearly do not!).
  • that hormones take a while to balance out after delivery...like, a year or more, in some cases. 
  • that my husband is the most patient man on the face of the earth.
  • that teething hurts! Those little teeth are sharp!!!
  • that it's easiest and most effective to baby proof the house by doing the majority of it before baby comes, and then follow baby around for a week so you can do it right. 
  • that routines change as quickly as they develop.
  • that nap time is a sacred time...for everyone. 
  • that parenthood is not for the faint of heart or feeble-minded. 
  • that if it can be picked up, it immediately becomes his new favorite toy. And no, it doesn't matter what "it" happens to be. Shoes, measuring cups, rawhide bones...(don't worry--I don't let him eat those, only the cow femurs. Kidding...).
  • which restaurant bathrooms have changing tables and which ones don't. 
  • that there is no such thing as a leak-proof diaper, bottle, or sippy cup, no matter what they say. 
  • that in everything I do and every decision I make, I immediately think first about how it will affect my son.
I learned much more than what's in this list, but it is late and I should be sleeping. 
Good night, dear reader. 

2 comments:

  1. I long for the day when you can change the title of this blog to "Just North of the Mason Dixon Line".

    And no, we won't be settled in the new digs for a few years (a conservative estimate), but y'all are welcome to come check it out anytime:)

    Glad to see you're back up and running on your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bear, I'm longing for that day, too. One day. Sooner rather than later, hopefully. I've been looking at listings as they hit the market and found a couple that are very promising and have potential, but we're not yet in a position to move.
    It feels good to be back to "normal," now that I've gotten into a routine of sorts.

    ReplyDelete