Without a TV, my life seemed simpler.
I could handle that kind of life.
Wendy (my sister-in-law) and I were discussing the garden to be planted next month. My brother has decided to forego the planting of corn, so that opened up quite a bit of room--and so he offered it to me. Talking to Wendy, I found out that the goal that she and my brother have set for retirement is to retire to a small farm, and, with the exception of paying for electricity, be completely self-sustaining.
I would like to do that...at some point. I'm trying to talk Wade into doing something along these lines, and I'm not sure he'll go for it...but I have a plan:
- Work only 2-3 days a week as a substitute teacher when we have kids. My mom has already agreed to babysit (and that won't cost much!). Money saved per month by not paying for outside childcare: roughly $950. (Over 10 months: $9,500) Potential earnings: $850, provided I work all the days that I am available. (Over a 10-month school year: $8,500)
- Plant a garden every year (approximately $75 investment per year) and preserve my produce. Money saved per month by not purchasing produce at the market: $45. (Over 12 months: $540, less $75= $465)
- Hunting for dinner instead of purchasing dinner will save roughly $300 a year on meat. But, when you factor in the hunting supplies, it balances out almost perfectly.
If I total all of that up, not including the lower car insurance rate that would result from having my car parked more than I'd be driving it, and not including the gas money I'd save each month, here's the approximate figure: $18,465! Now obviously, we would still have expenses--his insurance and gas for the truck; a payment & insurance on the newer vehicle I'd be driving at that point, since my car seems to be almost on its last leg; mortgage, utilities, and all that comes with a house; and baby expenses. But still--that's a TON of money that we could save if I were to just stay home with kids, work part time, and keep a garden each year.
It wouldn't be a completely self-sufficient lifestyle, but it's closer to one than we are now.
Wendy mentioned that she could handle living the Amish lifestyle, except for their religious doctrines...and if I heard her correctly, she said she could do without the electricity. I'd be able to handle solar panels on my roof to provide some energy for running appliances, if I had enough to power my fridge around the clock. And then, I'd need enough on top of that to power the stove/oven, sewing machine, and washing machine...
I'm pretty confident that we could handle a more simplified life.
No comments:
Post a Comment